Board Meeting

December 18, 2017

 

Meeting called to order at 8.05 PM

Present:  President - Denise Valkema, 1st Vice President - Paul Martinez, 2nd Vice President - Miranda Kilby, Secretary - Sylvia Young, Treasurer - Gloria Mills-Hicks, Board members:1 Tekesha Saffold, 2 Jorge Hernandez, 3 Camille Tate and 4 Rafael Fernandez.

Secretary Report:  Saffold made a motion to accept the December 3, 2017 minutes as sent via email; second by Mills-Hicks.  Approved by all and passed.

President report:  I attended our legislation and Deaf/Blind meetings. I met with two officers of a division. Many meetings were cancelled to allow us to participate in holiday events with chapters, friends, and family. I have enjoyed hearing the great time members are having this season!

Treasurer Report:  Bank balances for November 1, 2017: Operations Account November 1, 2017: $7,992.44; NFB-Newsline® Account November 1, 2017: $32,882.14; November 30, 2017 Bank balances for:  Operations Account $9.332.02; NFB-Newsline® Account $32,497.17.  Mills-Hicks also sent a Profit and Loss report.  Report tabled until next month.

Division/committee/chapter reports:

Tate reported:  MSCC: chapter will hold special elections in February 2018 to fill an open board position.  Legislation committee will meet on Tuesday, January 16, at 7 P. M.

All other reports stand as of the December 3, 2017 meeting.

Action items:

1. Martinez thanked the scholarship committee for their hard work.  Tekesha suggested that we might purchase the tickets for the delegates travel in the future.  Kilby made a motion that we reimburse the Washington Seminar delegates for travel, hotel and $40 per deim per day. Second by Tate.  Approved by all and passed.

2. The Deaf/Blind division are having some concerns and plan to have a meeting in December or January.  Mills-Hicks motioned that we table the discussion until the Division meets again.  Second by Hernandez.  Approved by all and passed.

3. The President sent out a bulletin about reserving your hotel room for the national convention sent on leaders list and Facebook.  We have been asked to co-host the National Convention.  Kilby motioned that the State Affiliate co-host the 2018 National Convention.  Second by Sylvia.  Approved by all and passed.

4. Mills-Hicks reported that we have an opportunity for our 2019 State Convention to be held at the Embassy Suites in Boca Raton for $99 per night in May.  Kilby motioned that we pursue getting a contract with the Embassy Suites for State Convention 2019. Second by Tate.  Approved by all and passed.

5. Since we changed our toll-free numbers from Sprint, the volume of president is receiving have decreased.  Mills-Hicks will look into the 800-number situation. Some members cannot call in to our conference call without being charged.  Kilby will look into other options for a free conference call service.

Our next board meeting will be an open meeting January 22, 2017.

Budget meeting with the officers scheduled January 2, 2018 at 8pm.

 Auction for 2018 convention.  Kilby suggested that each chapter and division create basket to auction during the convention.

Martinez made a motion that the meeting be adjourned; second by Young.  Approved by all and passed.  The meeting was adjourned at 9:23 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Sylvia Young, NFBF Secretary