Face to Face Board Meeting

February 4, 2017

Meeting called to order at 10:11 AM

 Present:  President - Denise Valkema, 1st Vice President - Paul Martinez, 2nd Vice President - Miranda Kilby, Secretary - Sylvia Young, Treasurer - Gloria Mills-Hicks, board members: 2 Jorge Hernandez, 3 Tekesha Saffold and 4 Rafael Fernandez

 President report: I attended the presidents retreat in Baltimore and Washington seminar. At the presidents retreat we did an activity dividing into four groups to discuss our brand personality traits. We discussed leadership, communication, membership, chapters, fundraising, and advocacy. We will meet this Monday to evaluate Washington seminar.

 Treasurer report: We do have a PayPal link and can be used for our fundraising events. Talked to Eric Deshawn who handles our Wells Fargo investments and he says made a little over $2000. At the end of the year it was $166,000 but was by end of January, we are back up to $171,000.  The projection is $181,000 for 2017 unless we make a withdrawal this year. Plan to have Budget meeting February 20, 2017.  Discussed sending out letters to attorneys’ offices to get our name on the list to have bequests given to NFB.

 Chapters/divisions/committee reports:

Paul reported that the Daytona Beach chapter concerns with the bank account has be resolved.

 Tekesha reported that the Empowerment committee has a meeting scheduled for February 27th.

 Miranda reported the Tampa chapter is planning hosting another “Bottom Dollars” event.

 Gloria reported there will be a February 8th Events committee meeting.

 Jorge reported Patty Chang sent Jorge information on writing grants.    

 Denise stated there will be a Florida Rehabilitation Council meeting in Tampa February 9th that we should be as involved as possible.  A motion was made by Paul to pay for President Valkema’s expenses and a per diem to attend the council meeting; second by Miranda.  Motion approved by all and passed.

 Rafael reported that the Student Division trying to establish a mentoring program with our seniors.  They are also actively recruiting as the current members are transitioning into a different time of life.  We had some discussion about changing the Student Division to a student committee if membership wanes.

 The Fundraising:  Jorge brought items to have a practice envelope activity during the Board and Chapter meeting this afternoon so that we could get an idea of how the activity works and build excitement for the convention.  He will have more information on the price of the fleeces later which we may sale at both state and national conventions.  Suggestions were made that we consider having a raffle at the national convention.

 Membership cards:  Discussed whether we want to use national cards or state cards.  Paul stated that the national cards are out of stock.  A motion was made by Jorge to purchase membership cards with President Valkema’s name; second by Tekesha.  Motion approved by all and passed.

Surveys:  We discussed doing a survey; we could set up a questionnaire through Survey Monkey to get feedback from our members.  We could start with the board then expand to the membership.  Tekesha will chair the committee.

 State convention:

Hotel input:  The elevator procedure with key card may be a problem since it doesn’t make a sound to indicate that you successfully tapped the key; there will be refrigerators avaible upon requested 100; we need sensitivity training for staff; make the hotel aware that members may call for room controls assistance.

Registration cut off:  Set for May 8th.

Awards:  We will establish committee for recognitions and awards at the convention. Sylvia will chair the committee.

Guest speakers: Send in your recommendations for speakers to Denise or Miranda.

Time act in Florida:  Discussion about showing the movie “Bottom Dollars” documentary at state convention, possibly as a break out session.

 Next board meeting:  February 26, 2017 open board at 7pm.

 Jorge made a motion that the meeting be adjourned; second by Miranda.  All approved.  Meeting adjourned at 12pm until the 1pm meeting with Central Florida Chapter.

 Discussion with Central Florida Chapter about preparations for the convention. 

 Duties for State Convention preparation:

Marilyn will help acquire clergy for Saturday and possible for Sunday and Monday; get an elected official for opening meeting Saturday; help Lynx get proper address and GPS instructions to hotel.  She needs wording for proclamation for the city.

 CF Chapter will find out what restaurants and stores are in area?  Get donation letter from Miranda to obtain hospitality donations & door prizes.  Send out notices to all chapters for door prizes and encourage gift cards.

 Sherri will get someone to braille agendas & help Marilyn get clergy for invocation Sunday and Monday.  She will do the opening meet & greet at general session, and introduce head table at banquet.

 Paul will be in charge of the scheduling ambassadors including UPS employees.  (Holly says scouts maybe able to help)

 To help develop a theme, Denise asked what each person wanted from their convention.  These were the desires of the group:  unity, welcome, togetherness, keep & build future leaders, make lasting impressions, acceptance, self-advocacy, bring people in (inclusion), grass roots organization, we are regular people, philosophy, get our name out in community, learn from each member, and communication.

 Suggested Speaker topics and breakout sessions:  non24, BEP, travel & tourism.

 A motion was made by Miranda that the fees for the exhibit tables remain $150 for for-profit businesses, $50 for non-profit and $25 for chapters for first tables and $200 for all second tables; second by Paul.  Motion approved by all and passed.

 Respectfully submitted by Sylvia Young, NFBF Secretary

      

[Click Here to Return to NFBF Minutes Page.]