NFBF State Board Meeting

December 27, 2016

Meeting called to order at 8:02 PM

 Present:  President - Denise Valkema, 1st Vice President - Paul Martinez, 2nd Vice President - Miranda Kilby, Secretary - Sylvia Young, Treasurer - Gloria Mills-Hicks, board members: 2 Jorge Hernandez, 3 Tekesha Saffold and 4 Rafael Fernandez

 Secretary Report:  The November minutes will be submitted for vote and approval via email this week.

 President report: On Dec.1st, I spoke with Shirley regarding a vendors’ committee. On Dec. 4th & 18th, I attended Chapter Presidents university calls. We had our president’s committee call on Dec. 11th. On December 13th, we had a Florida bell meeting and on Dec. 16th, a member attended an IEP meeting with a parent. On Dec. 21st, Jorge and I attended a Washington seminar teleconference. Hope everyone has enjoyed time with family and friends for the holidays!

 Treasurer Report:  As of November 30, 2016, the ending bank balances are: Operations Account $10,923.64 and NFB Newsline Account $51,496.33.   A motion was made by Jorge to accept treasurer’s report; second by Paul.  Motion approved by all and passed.

 Division/committee/chapter reports:

Rafael had no report.

 Tekesha reported the Palm Beach Chapter had a holiday party and will have elections in February.  They are planning guest speakers for the upcoming months and to establish a leaders list for their chapter.  The Empowerment Committee had a meeting in December about sensitivity and their next meeting will be January 9th at 8:30pm which will be a continuation of the that topic. She spoke to Cheryl with FLADU and discussed the need for a dog relief area and possible guest speaker for a breakout session during the convention.

 Jorge reported the Miami Dade Chapter had their holiday party at which they had a great time and their treasury is growing.   The Space Coast Chapter want to have a webpage but were encouraged to use the NFBF.org page and to ask Dan to help them modify their current page.  He was supposed to go to the Treasure Coast Chapter last meeting but was unable to make it.  He is planning to go in February.  The Fundraising Committee will send out emails in January about the lapel pens.  His is considering to sale the pens both nationally and statewide.  They will have a committee call soon to establish new fundraisers for the year.

 Gloria reported she will sent out a reminder for the Senior Concerns meeting for Thursday, January 4th.   The Events Committee meeting will be January 11th.  She checked on Joe and Kitty and they are doing well.

 Sylvia reported the Tallahassee Chapter is sponsoring family through the Christmas Connection.  They received a $1500 grant from Kohls for their Applebee’s Breakfast and donated $300 of that to the state affiliate.  They will have their annual elections in January and are planning several fundraisers in 2017.  The Jacksonville Chapter is planning a vision walk in January.  We had some good submissions from the chapters in our last Newsletter and looking for even more chapter participation and submissions for the January/February issue.  It will be posted February 1st.

 Miranda reported The Deaf Blind Division’s new President Julia Salvage is coming up with new ways to grow the division.  They will be sending out letters to all chapters to let them know the division can be a resource for their deaf/blind members.  The next Interest topic call will be January 2nd on Branding.  The Tampa Chapter celebrated their holiday party and had lots of participation.  The last President’s meeting was well attended and she asked for assistance to lead the February meeting as she will be out of the country.   She is sharing Facebook duties with Denise and we reached our goal for 500 likes; we now have 531 likes.  Remember to like us on Facebook and ask all chapters to send pictures and messages to be posted.

 Paul reported the Greater Daytona Beach Chapter had their holiday party and raised $600.  The Central Florida Chapter also a holiday party.  Joe Minichello resigned as chairman of Newsline as of January 1st, and Russ Davis will be our new chair.  The Scholarship committee selected the attendees to go to the 2017 Washington Seminar.    

 Old business:

Gloria booked the rooms for the Washington Seminar attendees.  A motion was made by Jorge to give $40 per denim to each Washington Seminar attendee and $200 be allocated for cab fare; second by Paul.  Motion approved by all and passed.  Jorge discussed some of the items that President Riccobono want us to touch on at the Washington Seminar.

New Business:

We decided to have a short Board meeting January 22nd and full meeting February 4th in Orlando at the Double Tree hotel. We will also meet with the Central Florida Chapter following that meeting.

President Riccobono informed us that our National Rep for our 2017 State Convention will be Jennie Matthews.

Upcoming 2017 Board meeting dates are January 22, February 26, March 26, and April 23.

­­­­­­Sylvia made a motion that the meeting be adjourned; second by Paul.  All approved.  Meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Sylvia Young, NFBF Secretary

      

[Click Here to Return to NFBF Minutes Page.]