NFBF State Board Meeting

July 24, 2016

Meeting call to order at 8:04 PM

Present:  Denise Valkema - President, 1st Vice President - Paul Martinez, 2nd Vice President - Miranda Kilby, Secretary - Sylvia Young, Treasurer - Gloria Mills-Hicks, board members: 1 Lauren Blum, 2 Jorge Hernandez, 3 Tekesha Saffold, and 4 Rafael Fernandez

Secretary Report:  A motion was made by Paul to accept June minutes sent via email; second by Tekesha.  Motion approved by all and passed.  A motion was made by Miranda to accept Caucus minutes sent via email; second by Jorge.  Motion approved by all and passed.

President report:  Just prior to convention all chapter presidents were added to chapter presidents list and five presidents have been selected to participate in Chapter Presidents University.  We have been working on adding email addresses for some @nfbflorida.org and Dan has been working on updating our website. We have been working on the contract for state convention 2017. We have had some committee meetings which I enjoyed participating in. We had around 82 at our caucus. Thanks to all that helped the 2016 national convention be a success.

Treasurer Report:  Final balance for June 30, 2016 in operations account $5,597.18 and NFB Newsline account was $41,344.01. A total of $3,873.68 was deposited from the Trio Raffle.  A motion was made by Lauren to accept the report as emailed with additional comments given; second by Rafael.  Motion approved by all and passed.

Division/committee/chapter reports:

Paul forwarded the comments he received from some of the scholarship winners.  They were very positive and showed the importance of giving these awards.  Dan and Paul will soon have an email assigned to scholarship@nfbf.org up on the website.  Newsline is meeting Wednesday and already has an email at newslinesupport@nfbf.org.  He had lunch with Scott Larson at Daytona beach.  Spoke to Sheri, president of Orlando chapter and hoping to attend their meeting in September.  Paul made a motion that Denise be refunded for one night of the convention hotel and registration for the national convention which was not covered; Second by Tekesha.  Motion approved by all and passed.  The Statewide chapter’s wallet raffle was very successful.  Paul created different committees to get more members involved during the meetings.  Denise attended their last meeting.

Miranda reported the interest topic meeting about fundraising will be on Sunday at 8pm.  She has invited several members from across the country.  The next Presidents committee meeting is Sunday, August 8th at 7pm.  The Tampa Chapter celebrated the 26th anniversary of ADA at their Pancake Breakfast; followed by the supervisor of elections.  The Deaf/Blind Division’s next meeting will be on August 9th at 8pm.  She is working with Kimberly Banks to help grow the Parent’s Division.  Kimberly has developed a new parents page in Florida on Facebook and has receive interest from several persons.

Sylvia reported the Tallahassee Chapter gained one new member and a another possible on the horizon.  They are gearing up for their annual Pancake breakfast fundraiser in October and their annual Thanksgiving awards dinner in November, where members are recognized for their hard work during the year.   She had an opportunity to sit and converse with several Jacksonville members at the national convention banquet.  The Newsletter will be drafted and sent out this week.

Gloria reported she was able to see members from the Pinellas Chapter at the convention and they were able to bring 9 members.  The last Seniors Committee meeting did not go as well as the 1st.  They may have to change the meeting date due to lack of participation.  They are looking for suggestions from anyone who have ideas to build this committee.

Lauren reported Suncoast Chapter had planned out their next 6 months of events.  They have 1-2 events scheduled each month including a back to school activity, spirit night and garage sales.  They were able to fill their open board position.  Lauren will be stepping down as president in September because she is moving to California.

Jorge met with the national office fundraising committee where he made a presentation.  They were really interested about our daily winner raffle.  He met with the national office about the KNFB reader and worked at that table in the exhibit hall.  Our fundraisers went well.  The top Ticket sales chapters were: #1 Tampa sold 166, #2 Tallahassee sold 104, #3 Suncoast Chapter sold 81, #4 Statewide sold 69 and # 5 Central Florida sold 29.  We raised almost $4000.  The Fundraiser committee met last week and talked about the next fundraiser which is the Daily Winner Raffle.  Miranda motioned that the top 2 chapters/divisions that sells the most tickets get a free room at the state convention; second by Gloria.  Motion approved by all and passed.  Joe Naulty at Space Coast Chapter now has a membership of 48 members.  This month they are having an election commissioner coming to speak at their meeting.  Jorge may be traveling up there to help them out.  The Treasure Coast Chapter is considering changing their meeting day to Saturday to help increase membership.

Tekesha reported Palm Beach Chapter had 17 members attend the convention; 8 were 1st timers, one Kenneth Jernigan winner and one state scholarship winner.  They will resume meeting in August with a guest speaker from the special Olympics.  They have planned some “Meet the Blind” activities including an intersection crossing for white cane day, a meeting at City Hall and make presentations and blind date with the community event at the park.  They continue to grow membership, gaining 1-2 members each meeting.  She spoke with Maryland at the National convention and sat in on the Empowerment Committee meeting and will get together soon to schedule something in August.  Spoke with Denise about perhaps getting the LGBT population involved with the Empowerment committee.

Rafael reported FABS raffle went well.  Spoke with Judy at the national convention and they continue to work on increasing membership in Gainesville.  She is very appreciative of the assistance from the board.

National Convention debriefing:  All of the board members were very busy and involved in multiple meetings, seminars, and committees.  Most volunteered at the Information table, hospitality suite, Presidential suite, and exhibit hall tables. Some acted as ambassadors or marshals and helped to correlate the restaurant guide.  Everyone found the convention to the be very inspiring.

State convention 2017:  The hotel contract for the state convention was discussed.  Jorge motioned that we have our 2017 state convention at the Orlando Doubletree Hotel; second by Sylvia.  Motion approved by all and passed.

Gloria and Denise was invited to a meeting with at the rehab council.  A stakeholders meeting will be held on Wednesday, including the Florida council of the blind, NFB, Blind Vets and the Florida Association Severing the Blind to discuss the bill on employment and if we should have separate or merged services in Florida.  Paul motioned to pay for Denise’s travel expense and $39 per diem per day to attend this meeting.  Second by Jorge.  Motion approved by all and passed.

Next board meeting will be 8/28/16.

­­­­­­Sylvia made a motion that the meeting be adjourned; second by Jorge. All approved.  Meeting adjourned at 10:02 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Sylvia Young, NFBF Secretary

        

[Click Here to Return to NFBF Minutes Page.]