NFBF State Board Meeting

May 22, 2016

Meeting call to order at 8:03 PM

Present:  Denise Valkema - President, 1st Vice President - Paul Martinez, 2nd Vice President - Miranda Kilby, Secretary - Sylvia Young, Treasurer - Gloria Mills, board members: 1 Lauren Blum, 2 Jorge Hernandez, 3 Tekesha Saffold, and 4 Rafael Fernandez

Secretary Report:  A motion was made by Tekesha to accept minutes as emailed; second by Lauren.  Motion approved by all and passed.

President report:  She attended our meeting on membership and Newsline committee meetings. She researched hotels to share with convention committee and attended convention committee meetings. She asked members to contact Lindsey Graham concerning space available. She received notification that we have three Kenneth Jernigan convention scholarship winners. She was a speaker by teleconference during the Treasure Coast Chapter meeting and spoke about NFB philosophy during the Miami chapter meeting. More information will be given during reports.

Treasurer Report:    Operations account balance is $4,552.15; Newsline account balance is $42,502.57; no report from Wells Fargo account.  A motion was made by Sylvia to accept the report as given; second by Jorge.  Motion approved and passed by all.
 

National convention:  A motion was made by Gloria for the affiliate to donate $500 to the White Cane, Jacobus tenBroek, and Imagination Funds; and $250 to Kenneth Jernigan fund; second by Paul.  Motion approved and passed by all.  Gloria to bring the checks to the National Convention.  Still waiting for schedule for helping at the information table and hospitality room at the convention.  Denise will send out this information when she gets it via email.  We are responsible to prepare the restaurant guides for the convention.  Denise will be greeting in the presidential suite.  We received an email request to assist financially with the scholarship winners’ breakfast.  A motion was made by Miranda to donate funds for the scholarship breakfast in the amount of $50; second by Lauren.  Motion did not carry.

Division/committee/chapter reports:

Paul reported that Daytona agreed to leave their constitution as is.  Their vice president has resigned.  The Newsline chair has established an Executive committee and reps from each chapter to share what’s being done with the system.  Gloria moved that we table the Newsline increase for the marketers until next month; second by Tekesha.  Motion approved and pass by all.  Statewide chapter is still collecting gift cards from various stores and restaurants.  They have $500 so far and the drawing will be at the national convention.  Scholarship committee has met and chosen 10 winners for the state grant.  An announcement will be sent out soon on the list serve to congratulate the winners.

 Miranda reported the Tampa chapter will have the director of Self-reliance to speak in June.  They will be having their 3rd annual July pancake breakfast honoring the ADA.  The supervisor of elections will be coming with 2 audible voting machines.  They will be demonstrating how to use the machines and registering people to vote.  They will be selling NFB recyclable bags and envelope openers at the convention.  Deaf Blind Division just appointed a new 1st vice president, Alicia Benningcourt.  The Presidents committee will meet second Sunday of June.  The Interest call on membership was great.  Our guest speakers from our national office were Dannielle Trevino and Jeannnie Massey.  The next topic will be fundraising.  The State convention committee received 14 proposals, and has narrowed them down to The Double Tree Orlando, Hilton Westshore Tampa, Jacksonville Sheraton, and Jacksonville Lexington.  The dates are for the Memorial Day weekend, since prices are higher in January and hurricane season is still in effect in October.  Gloria moved that we choose the Orlando Double Tree for a 1 or 2-year contract but not in succession for the state convention, pending someone physically goes to confirm that they have the space we need; second by Tekesha.  Motion approved and passed by all.

 Sylvia reported the Tallahassee Chapter donated over 350 pounds of food and $110 to Second Harvest Food Bank of the Big Bend.  This has become an annual service project for the chapter.  They raised over $200 for their Mother’s Day raffle and have plans for a special Father’s Day celebration during their June meeting.  The Morgans are moving to Atlanta and have resigned from the board.  She presented a draft of the new State Newsletter which will go out bimonthly. Lauren volunteered to help with editing.

 Gloria reported the Pinellas Chapter is planning to bring their members to the national convention.  She will be starting the Senior Concerns Committee soon.

 Lauren reported the Suncoast Chapter had a pancake breakfast in April and made about $1500.  They had a speaker from State Crime prevention task force, which is a free service across the state.  They spoke about identity theft and how to protect yourself.  They gained 6 new members.

 Jorge reported the Apple Trio raffle is going very well.  We have raiser over $500 so far.  The winners will be announced July 5th at noon.  There will be a table in the convention exhibition hall to sell the tickets.  Tekesha moved that we return 50% of proceeds of the Apple Trio Raffle after the expenses back to the chapters.  Second by Gloria. Motion approved and passed by all.  He submitted 3 samples of lapel pins.  We plan to sell 200 pins at $10.  We will make $7 per pin profit.  Paul moved that we purchase the pin with NFB by itself; second by Miranda.  Motion approved and passed by all.  The Space Coast chapter is very busy and working on resolving transportation issues in their area.  The Treasure Coast chapter had a joint conference call about the KNFB reader and they are growing.

 Tekesha reported the Palm Beach Chapter is busy trying to assist their members to get to the National Convention.  They are please that Cynthia, their secretary is one of the Jernigan scholarship winners.  The Roger Dean tickets sales are going well.  She gave a presentation to the Lions Club and they donated $500 to the chapter.  They had a yard sale 1st Saturday of May and made $120.  Their vice president has been chairing some of the meetings. 
 

Rafael reported that Judy says the Gainesville chapter only has 11 members and are trying to build membership.  She would like to have the highlights from the interest call meeting put on the leaders list.  Lauren will put together some notes to put out on the leader’s list.  They have 2 members going to the national convention.  FABS is having an I-Phone SE raffle and will be selling tickets and have the drawing at national convention.

Denise reported the Miami chapter enjoyed her talk on NFB philosophy.  Ross Levine spoke about Newsline at their meeting.  The chapter is providing 3 rooms to their members.  The Florida Association of Agencies serving the Blind (FAASB) will have a presentation on June 7th.  They have concerns about DBS being put under VR.

Next meeting will be during the Florida caucus at the National Convention.

Gloria will get the checks out for per Diem funds for the board members who will be attending the national convention this week.

Jorge made a motion that the meeting be adjourned; second by Gloria.  All approved.  Meeting adjourned at 10:24 pm.

Respectfully submitted by Sylvia Young, NFBF Secretary

        

[Click Here to Return to NFBF Minutes Page.]