National Federation of the Blind of Florida

Board Meeting Minutes

September 14, 2008

 

President Kathy Davis called the meeting to order at 8:09 PM.

Present were:

Kathy Davis - President

Dwight Sayer - First Vice President

Dan Hicks - Second Vice President

Sherri Brun - Secretary

Gloria Hicks - Treasurer

Betty McNally - Board Member

Gina Minichiello - Board Member

Sherrill O'Brien - Board Member.

 

Sabrina Deaton - Board Member could not attend.

 

Kathy said that she is preparing to go to the Louisiana Center for the Blind this week.

 

Newsline issues were discussed. Gloria thought that Sabrina had mentioned that last meeting she was postponing the addition of the Gainesville paper because of the Newsline funds. The financial difficulties of various newspapers were discussed.

 

The minutes for August 4 were approved as mailed.

 

Gloria hicks presented the treasurer's report. As of August 31, 2008, we have $17,562.08 in Bank of America operations account. We just received $750 for scholarships. Daytona has sent in their two scholarships. Encouraged other chapters to send in scholarships. The Newsline account presently stands at $16,187 with an outstanding check for $5,000, which has not come through yet. This is for newspaper fee. Gloria requested another payment from DBS. It will take approximately 21 days. DBS personnel indicated they are happy with the new DBS director. Gloria said she withdraws about $30,000 per quarter. The Jenny Montgomery fund, our invested fund is $154,378.50. This includes income of this year of $6,428.17. Gloria sent information for Higgins grant. We should hear from them some time in October. We have not heard anything from PDQ about the planned giving brochure. Dwight will write to Sabrina regarding the planned giving brochure. All we needed to change is the treasurer's information. We have a total account balance of about $188.000.

 

The fund-raising report was given. Sherrill O'Brien has spoken with David Bearden and Marion Gwizdala about David's show. We have a go from National, as long it is done in a venue conducive to such entertainment. Marion has been in touch with Weekly Planet, which is a magazine that advertises events in the Tampa area. Has decided to be done in Ebore City. David says if we cannot do the show before the holidays, we should move it past Valentine's Day. Gloria mentioned that the Superbowl is in Tampa. Gloria suggested having it around that time. A lot of visitors will be in the area. The newspaper may not have the inclination to want to help us with it at that time. Sherrill will mention to Marion possibly having some sort of alternative form of advertising so the show could be performed around the time of the Superbowl. We also talked about having a 50-50 drawing as well. Sherrill says the event will happen before our 2009 convention. Our cruise is about the same. Patricia Tuck is still looking for a roommate. We should check with Janet Carone and Patricia Tuck. Sherrill will check with Janet Carone. Gina will check on the roommate situation.

 

Dan gave a website report. We are now at another hosting company. Our website is currently up to 10 Megs. We are now signed on with network solutions for less money. We have about 1,000 times more space. We have $1,000 mailboxes. He is trying to set it up so that people can load their own pages. We can possibly stream the convention if we are so inclined. We can create convention archives to be downloaded as podcasts. Tara wants to be involved on the web aspect. Have a meeting with a member from each chapter regarding increasing participation on web site.

 

Gloria Hicks reported for the events committee. All corrections were made both verbally and in the contract with Susan Bennett. Corrections had to be made several times. She will give us a discount for food as the time draws nearer. David Anspach talked to Joanna Monroe in St. Pete Re the Ramada In, which will be a Marriott in January. Meeting rooms are well laid out for blind people to find their way around. Bedrooms can hold four people with refrigerators. Gloria has menus, but in 2010, the price will be different. Meal prices are reasonable. Room rates will be #$99. Gloria recommended waiting and seeing.

 

The Sun Bank account fund-raiser was discussed. Sherrill will make announcement to chapter presidents RE the account. Sun Bank will give $100 to a designated organization. It is a good way for a chapter to make money. Must maintain account open for at least 60 days.

 

Judy Hamilton talked with Kathy about some sort of ball that DBS puts on in Gainesville. DBS wants to act as though the Gainesville chapter is putting it on. Then they don't have to cope with red tape through the state. The board is against it.

 

Betty McNally does not have an update regarding the education of blind children. Betty was having trouble to get interviews with parents.

 

Kathy has not had an update as to Henry Alexander's health. Betty said that when she last talked to Bertha, he had recognized her.

 

Kathy said she will have a landline in Ruston: 318-255-0367.

 

Gina Minichiello suggested that Kathy correspond with the NFB chapter presidents and send out updates to keep up communication. Chapter presidents are calling Kathy. Dan suggested having a meeting between chapter presidents and board. Gloria suggested a possible face-to-face board meeting. We should have the chapter presidents be present on the next board meeting. Gloria suggested Sunday October 26. We could call it a board/leadership meeting. Sherrill would not be able to participate, but suggested November 2. We need to have a board meeting before the one in November. We will have a meeting on October 12.

 

The meeting adjourned at 10:15 P.M.

 

Respectfully submitted:

 

Sherri Brun secretary

National Federation of the Blind of Florida

 

 

 

[Click Here to Return to NFBF Minutes Page.]